Tuesday, February 8, 2011

You're really going to Africa?

So we're (the weathermen...that means who knows!) expecting a ridiculous amount of snow tomorrow-two days before we get on a plane out of here.  I was telling another teacher today that if we're out of school tomorrow, I'll be thankful because it will give me a whole extra day for laundry/packing/cleaning before we leave.  This teacher was asking when we'd get home from Africa, etc. when I notice my students were listening to this conversation.

Student:  You're really going to Africa?
Me:  Yes
Student:  You're going to AFRICA.
Me:  Yes, I'm going to Africa.  You've had me for 2 years and heard all about this.  You knew this.
Student:  You're going to Africa..........where are you going to sleep?  In the grass?
Me:  (Thinking:  Yep, in the grass with the lions!)  Ummm, no.  We're staying at a place like a home.  You'd be surprised.  Oh, and guess what?  (getting sarcastic)  They have electricity and running water!  (grin)
Student:  Hmmm.

I still don't think he believed me!

Well, they've already called off school for tomorrow and ready for my day to get everything else done.  Here's a look at the not-so-primitive place where we'll be staying, House of Hope Guest House.


This is where Coco is right now!
There are actually no signs on the walls.

2 comments:

  1. I'm getting nervously excited for you guys!!! Praying for safe travel and a great meeting with your child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice and welcoming - what a wonderful setting to meet the precious little guy. Makes me feel so good to know he's being taken care of in such a wonderful place!

    ReplyDelete