Sunday, February 20, 2011

Trip #1: Expect the unexpected

(before we left)

We've been home a couple of days now and we're just now beginning to feel human again.  It was nice to have today to finally rest, as we went right back to work after being gone.

Sunday:
We left here Friday evening and got to Ethiopia Sunday morning.  After going through the forever long Visa line, we got our luggage and waited in the bank line to exchange money.  About 10 people ahead of us, the bank ran out of money and closed!  Then, we waited a while as the airport cleared out and we still hadn't seen our driver. We called and they thought we got in that evening instead so they were at church.  We waited a little longer for them to come pick us up.  At this point all I could think about was how fast I wanted to get a shower, eat and see my baby!  We ate lunch and then rested for a bit.  They weren't going to come pick us up and take us to the transition home until 3 pm.  I was really sad we had to wait that long but I knew there was nothing we could do about it.

When we got there, another family who was in town for their Visa appointment was there and offered to video tape our first meeting with our little guy.  It's such a special video.  We were so happy to finally get our hands on him!  He's just as beautiful as we'd imagined and so sweet.  He kept looking at us so confused and rightfully so.  We put him on the floor and saw that he can sit up on his own for a little while, he can get up on hands and knees, tries to crawl, and rolls all over the place.  He thinks Justin is funny and has the cutest laugh and smile.  He liked his giraffe lovey we got for him and I hope he snuggles with it every night.  The rattle we brought was very intriguing to him and he didn't want to let it go!  He got tired and fell asleep on me that very first day.  Nothing sweeter!
(this is all I can show of him so far)
  

Until I can show pictures, here's what I can say about him...
Curly, curly hair
Huge, bright eyes
Two bottom teeth and a barely through top tooth
Big lips-so cute!
Not very verbal at all, but will laugh a tiny bit
He weighs a ton but has very small, short legs
He has very little lower body strength due to some health issues-should outgrow this
Ticklish feet
Self-soothes by putting his tongue between his lips and sucks on it

He has a little catching up to do but I'm sure it will happen quickly.  Especially with a big brother to keep up with!

When it was time to leave for the evening, we went back to our guest home and ate dinner and slept.

Monday (Valentine's Day):
After breakfast, we asked what time court would be the next day.  They told us that there was no court on Tuesday because it was a national holiday having to do with the Muslims in the country and our court should be on Wednesday.  Ummmm, we were supposed to leave on Tuesday night!  Quick flip-out moment for sure!  They told us that they'd figure it out and let us know.  We got to the transition home to see our babies for the second time and before they brought them in, we were told that court would be right then!  We had to go back, change clothes, get our representative, and get to the courts as soon as possible.

We sat in the waiting area for a long time and it was so awkward.  There were nicely dressed (mostly) white people, and mixed throughout the crowd were obviously native Ethiopian birth parents.  I kept wondering what was going through their minds as they sat there and saw all the smiling faces come out of the judge's room.  Did it become real and final?  One more twist of the knife?  I can't imagine.  When it was our turn, we went in the judge's room and she asked us all a few 'yes' or 'no' questions and said that the birth parents will meet with her on Wednesday because the court will be closed tomorrow.  We left the room feeling awkward and a little confused.  I knew it wasn't final, but still happy nonetheless.  We completed our part of the process on Valentine's Day!

(after court...not final, but happy still!)

Later in the afternoon we finally got another chance to go back and see our babies again.  I was able to try on clothing I brought to see what would fit him.  His legs are so tiny that he can wear 3-6 month pants but the rest of him fits 6-9 months.  I think I'll just start with 6-9 month clothes and see where to go after that once he gets here for summer clothes.  We also took pictures for other waiting families of their beautiful children.  Playing with the big kids in the courtyard was so much fun.  I wish I could show off all their cute kids!  :)


Tuesday:
This is the day I was dreading before we left.  I was nervous to deal with leaving him, meeting his birth mom, going to court, and leaving the country all in the same day.  Amazing how God works things out, huh?  All we had to deal with was leaving him and getting on the plane this day.  That's hard enough.

We actually got to see him twice this day!  Apparently we kept coming during nap time because he kept falling asleep on me...or maybe he just likes me that much!  We found out about his schedule, naps, feedings, etc. to help us plan what to bring for the next trip.

After dinner that night, we began our long journey home.  I can't sleep sitting up so there's no hope for sleeping on the plane.  By the time we got home Wednesday evening, and finally got in the bed, I'd been awake for 50 hours.  Ridiculous.  Makes me nervous for traveling with a baby next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment