Tuesday, February 9, 2010

How did we get here?

Ok, so the word has begun to spread and today I will make this blog public.  We have been able to tell our families and a few friends so I guess it's time to let everyone else in on this fun little secret we've been keeping!  If you're reading this for the first time, go back to the first post and work through to this one...it may answer some questions.  We have anticipated more questions to come and we will try our best to answer them the best that we can.  Even if the best we can say is, "Because this is what God has planned for our family."  Sooooooo, just in case you're wondering...Why? When? What if?

What led up to this decision? 
Years and years of God working in our lives!  I just remembered today about a youth rally of some sort...maybe it was college...all I know is that I remember one message:  Prayer is a powerful thing so don't take it for granted.  God does amazing things that you would never dream of.  Pray for a country or continent NOW.  Pray for them and how God can use you there.  See what happens.  Well, I chose Africa.  I prayed these prayers off and on for months when I thought about it but then those thoughts were forgotten.  When I realized this tonight, it was almost one of those weird epiphany moments.  Like, wow, God really is that great!  My earthly mind can't quite comprehend this.

Why adoption?
I have always wanted to adopt, ever since I was little.  When thinking of future family planning, I've always added at least one adopted child in the 'perfect' family number in my head.  Plus, I have several friends who are adopted and I have always admired their families. 

I believe God has answered my prayers about where to take our family next.  I have asked him to show us what route to go for expanding our family and this was the path that he cleared for us. 

Will you have more biological children?
Maybe.  If it's in God's plan for us to have more, we will.

Why didn't you choose Romania?
Simple.  They don't allow international adoption anymore after there was so much child trafficing for years after communism fell.  It's sad because Romania has a special place in our hearts.

Why Ethiopia?
You read the part about the power of prayer, right?

The easy answer here is that when CHI sent me an email that I saw in the middle of the school day, I read about the Ethiopia program and looked around at my students (majority do not look like me) and thought about how well an Ethiopian child might fit in around here.  It just made sense.  God made it so clear in my heart that this was what I was supposed to do.

Not only that, but I have always loved Africa.  I used to want to move there to be a missionary but thought that it was a rediculous feat.  I got a Health Care Missions minor at Harding (my transcript doesn't even show it, grrrrr) in hopes that I would be able to do regular short term medical mission work there.  When looking into international adoption, Ethiopia seemed to have some of the greatest need.  With the AIDS epidemic and extreme poverty, there are so many orphans who need a loving home.  I could go on all day about this.

Where IS Ethiopia?  :)
East Africa.  It's next to the Red Sea and bordered by Kenya, Sudan and Somalia.

Do you know what the child will be like?
They allow requests but we were pretty generic with ours.  Cooper is our first born and will be always be the oldest.  We do not want to adopt/place a child out of birth order because there will be enough transition for Cooper as it is.  Losing his position in the family would make it much more difficult for him.  We decided to request a healthy infant under 12 months of either gender.  The babies are tested for HIV, TB and Hepatitis.  We will be given all, if any, medical records for the baby.  Coming from an extremely impoverished country, there will likely be some malnutrition or delayed development of some type.  This is not anything negative towards the birthfamily or country.  It's just the consequences of the situation.  The babies are very well taken care of by the nannies at the House of Hope.  This is the home run by our adoption agency.  It's more like a foster home than an institution.  Just knowing this gives me comfort.

Why did you choose international over domestic adoption?  Oh, and isn't it way more expensive?
Ok, here's the controversial question.  I will keep this short.  When weighing between the two, we decided that first of all, our family is not ready for foster care or foster to adopt programs.  With a toddler in the house and many outside of the home responsibilities, it's just not an option right now although, it may be a consideration on down the road.  Next would be domestic infant adoption but we were uncomfortable with all of the possible issues that may accompany that situation.  In the end, we chose to go with international adoption using a reputable agency.  What it comes down to is that we feel God led us in this specific route for a reason.  No doubt about it.  What matters is that we have been given the opportunity to give a child a loving home that is so desperately needed.  It doesn't matter where they come from.

Generally, the cost is about the same with domestic infant or international. 

Where are you in the process?
We have been approved by the agency, we are starting on the home study and gathering documents for the dossier now.

How long is the wait?
We will send our dossier (documentation packet) within the next 2-3 months.  After that, it could take 11+ months for a referral of a child.  After that, it could be another 4 months before we pass court and travel.  We will be in Ethiopia for about a week.

Is there anything I can do to help you?
Pray.  Pray things go smoothly and quickly.  Pray for our patience in waiting.  I told some friends the other day that our baby probably hasn't even been conceived yet, which blows my mind.  In light of that, pray for mommy and baby.  Health.  Comfort.  I have no idea what situation the mom will be encountering to make her choose to relinquish the baby, but whatever she is facing....pray for her.  I can't imagine what the next year or so holds for her.  Pray that our community will be accepting of our family and the differences it will have that I find so beautiful.  Pray that God will prepare Cooper for this.  He's gonna be an awesome big brother!

Sorry this got so long!  I have SO much to say and I know no one wants it all in one sitting.

1 comment:

  1. This whole wonderful idea is so exciting! I'm glad you brought up the idea to be praying for the birth mother. I can't comprehend what strugles she has/will go through. I will pray for each and every one of you. Cooper is so dear to our family and I know he will need special comfort, understanding and love for him to grasp his new sibling whenever he/she arrives into his little world. Love you guys so much!

    ReplyDelete