Sunday, March 27, 2011

Special Needs

As I've mentioned in previous posts, Silas' adoption is considered a 'special needs' case because he has rickets.  Rickets it almost unheard of in the US and considered and old disease because Americans just don't get it anymore.  It's the result of a vitamin D deficiency, which softens the bones.  We have no idea what to expect as far as treatment goes when he comes home because we're not exactly sure of the severity of it.  I know that it's more pronounced than what we had expected before we met him last month.

What we know about rickets: (just the basics-don't want to bore anyone!)
*It's a vitamin D deficiency
*Prevents mineralization of bones, teeth, etc.
*Causes bowing of long bones (leg braces or reconstructive surgery is sometimes needed)
*Children often learn to walk late
*Often causes short statured adults
*Causes easily broken bones and cavities
*Causes bone and joint pain
*If treated while the child is still growing, it can be totally corrected!

How it's presenting in Silas so far:
*Considerably shorter legs for his size/age
*Slightly bowed leg bones
*Rachitic rosaries (boney nodules where his ribs meet his sternum)
*Hyperextended knees
*Blood chemistry is a little off

How it's being treated now:
*Vitamin D syrup

We're anticipating x-rays, etc. once we're home with him.  I really want to know what the doctor suggests or whether she things we need an orthopedic referral.  Good thing summer is coming because we'll get him lots of sunlight so his little body will start making its own vitamin D (he stays inside all day now).  Also, he's almost 10 months old and never had any fruits/vegetables.  I'm betting getting good nutrition alone will help his status quickly.  I figure he was malnourished at birth, born to a malnourished mother who had a difficult time feeding herself, let alone a newborn.  I fault her none.  It just gives us an opportunity to give him an extra measure of love an care!

Special needs adoption isn't exactly what you may have always thought it was.  His is just a nutritional deficiency that will hopefully be corrected.  Other special needs children in Ethiopia have anything from clef palate or club foot, which is treated with surgery, to malaria, which is treated with medicine and is gone, to HIV/AIDS which requires long term medication therapy but is now a manageable disease due to medical advancements.

I think all children who are in need of adoption have a special need....the need for a loving family!

No comments:

Post a Comment