Contrast
verb- to compare in order to show the unlikeness or differences; note the opposite natures, purposes, etc.
noun- a striking exhibition of unlikeness; opposition of different forms
One thing I noticed about Egypt while I was there in college was the stark contrast we saw within the society. There were huge skyrise buildings and tiny shacks on the side of the road. There were fancy cars and cell phone towers, yet we saw people riding donkeys and selling fruit from their wooden carts. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia wasn't much different.Huge apartment buildings//tiny shacks made from scrap trash, no utilities. No wrecks or road rage//there seem to be no traffic laws and everyone drives wherever they like. Our babies adored by their nannies, waiting on Mommies and Daddies//street children begging for their next meal. Health and beauty//man lying on the side of the road, skin and bones, flies, barely breathing...dying. I could go on and on. Such contrast seems unjust.
I feel like contrast has been the theme of my past few weeks. Not only in experience and what we saw, but also in emotions. I've been scared, yet elated at the same time. I've had a roller coaster of emotions and thoughts. I'm so thankful to have been sent down this road, yet I'm so frustrated with the country for new laws they're enforcing. I am so in love with this precious baby, yet find it hard to even look at his picture at times because I miss him so much.
As I try to accept all of this, I realize I don't have to. I don't have to be okay with it all. I feel like I've been shown the contrast for a reason. When we see things like this that make us uneasy or uncomfortable, I think we're shown it so that we are aware and can do something about it. I have no idea what God is wanting me to do or how but my eyes have been opened for a reason. I don't think we'll ever truly find balance in the world until Jesus comes back but the least we can do is try to bring about some kind of justice to those who can not do for themselves. I have no idea what this may look like for me or my family but I hope to find out soon.
As I try to accept all of this, I realize I don't have to. I don't have to be okay with it all. I feel like I've been shown the contrast for a reason. When we see things like this that make us uneasy or uncomfortable, I think we're shown it so that we are aware and can do something about it. I have no idea what God is wanting me to do or how but my eyes have been opened for a reason. I don't think we'll ever truly find balance in the world until Jesus comes back but the least we can do is try to bring about some kind of justice to those who can not do for themselves. I have no idea what this may look like for me or my family but I hope to find out soon.

No comments:
Post a Comment