When I tell people I'm going back to Ethiopia, I usually get the same response. Big eyes and, "really...." and a strange head shake. I can tell that, for the most part, many people don't understand why I would want to go back so soon, especially since I got sick last time.
Let's be honest here, there are plenty of reasons I shouldn't go.
*I hate flying...and East Africa is a long ways away if you haven't looked at a map lately
*My whole family is staying home
*I'm missing Spring Break with my kids
*I won't be spending my birthday with my family
*I had to get more shots...ouch! in my arm and pocketbook
*My recent back injury isn't completely better
*I'm still working on bonding/attachment with Silas at times and this could put us back
*My Mamaw has been in and out of the hospital a lot lately and we
*Hellooo! The Hunger Games movie comes out while I'm gone!!
*I got sick last time. Really sick.
Bottom line: There's risk. And by the world's standards, it's probably too risky. I should just stay home and enjoy the comfortable life I have here. Why jeopardize anything?
I'll tell you why. I believe that we were put on this earth to love. Sure, I could just love those around me in my area and believe me, I do. But God has put a love for the African people in my heart and it's been there for a long time. Now that I've experienced them and their culture firsthand, not to mention my sweet baby, I feel even more passionately about them. Let me make myself clear. I do not believe they need rich Americans to come in and take anything over, tell them what to do, or do anything for them. I do believe that if God has so richly blessed anyone with resources, we are to help those in need with what we have. It's about perspective and heart. It's about love and sacrifice.
Ever heard the phrase, "I need Africa more than Africa needs me"? Yeah, I do need Africa. I need to be reminded that there is much joy in suffering. I need to enjoy the simplicity of their daily life. I need to be reminded that this world is not our home. I need to be reminded that I must acknowledge the blessings I so often take for granted. I also feel like I need to stay connected to my son's roots.
I'm going back, taking risks, making sacrifices, and I'm ready to love. Love people who the world has deemed unworthy, forgotten, unlovable. I asked God to give me an opportunity to go back and minister to some of the people I love the most, this opportunity came up, God has opened every door for this trip, and I'm going. If I wasn't so sure He had paved the way for this trip, I might be hesitant. But I'm not.
More info on exactly what we'll be doing coming soon!
Thank you for sharing this Emily! I'm so glad that we will be experiencing this trip together!
ReplyDelete