Thursday, July 1, 2010
He melts my heart
I could leave it at that...but I won't. He's a maniac...but denies it. He loves freedom and independence...yet he's the sweetest snugglebug I've ever known. I could go on all day...but I won't.
Awhile back, our household was hit by the "Toy Stoy" bug. We have watched Toy Story and Toy Story 2 countless times in the past month, play with a set of miniature characters, memorized lines from the movies, taken pictures with Buzz Lightyear, and bought Woody PJ's.
All the while, he never knew how excited I was to go see Toy Story 3!! I couldn't wait. Cooper has never been to the movie theater so we figured we'd go all out and see it in 3D at IMAX (he got in free!)......oh, and we got lemonade and popcorn, too.
WHY they didn't have kid-sized glasses is beyond me but oh well. He kept them on and absolutely loved the movie. If we could just figure out how to explain why we can't watch it at our house, we'd be doing great.
I thank God for Cooper's sweet, nurturing spirit. He is always very concerned about the baby blankets I'm knitting for his new baby brother or sister. He has also been asking a lot lately when the baby is coming and unfortunately, we don't have any answers for him. We just say, "someday." We think he understands this just a little. Well, this weekend he asked for literally HOURS where the baby brother or sister is and when they were coming.
It's conversations like this that absolutely melt me....
C: When's baby brudur or sistur comin, Daddy?
J: Soon, but they're not ready to come here yet.
C: (Looking up, thinking, you can see his wheels turning)
J: Do you know who's making the baby?
C: Jesus!
J: You're right!
C: Well, where IS Jesus?
J: He's in heaven. Do you know where heaven is?
C: It's a surprise!
A little while later he was actually boo-hooing in hysterics because he wanted this baby to come here to our house NOW. We snuggled, talked, calmed down. I got his beach ball globe and we talked about where we lived and where the baby brother or sister will be and that Mommy and Daddy will have to get it someday. This seemed to satisfy him (it's not the first time we've done this).
But then I got to thinking...he loves babies and he really loves this baby doll at my mom's house that she got for the girls. Maybe Cooper would like to have a baby doll of his own and it would satisfy his anxiety/curiosity of the upcoming sibling. Boys playing with dolls really isn't a big deal to me. I think it's good for them to learn to take care of something and show love in that way. Now, pink, frilly, princess or Barbie-ish is NOT okay. :)
We went to Toys R Us the next day to pick out a simple, somewhat gender neutral baby doll (preferably not white). Cooper was super excited and he said it needed baby bottles like the one at Nana's house. We were on the search...
I found a sweet, soft little brown skinned baby doll and took it to Cooper and asked what he thought of it. His reply? "Oh, it's a black baby!!" I said, "WHAT?? What kind of baby is this?" "A black baby," he said again. I had no idea he even knew that term! He said it as if it were simply an observation and he has absolutely no problem with the baby or even the thought that we would have a black baby. It was totally innocent.
I'm not sure exactly where he picked that one up but I'm just thankful it wasn't condescending in any way. He has always been exposed to diverse people, we read Ethiopian adoption blogs of others and look at babies' pictures and we see kids of different races at church and he sees them in class at school as well. He especially loves his big friend, Eric, who has spent some time at our house recently and he's African American. I feel that we've done a pretty good job of exposing Cooper to diversity while not necessarily pointing out differences among people. We see everyone so much the same and try to push away stereotypes. Now we know he sees the differences among people and for now, it's only an observation.
Well, the baby made it home with us, along with a set of bottles with juice and milk. He has decided this baby is a boy and it's name is Baby Goo. Because the baby brother or sister is getting blankets made for it, Baby Goo also needed a blanket and pillow. I let Cooper pick out some fabric from my stash...errr, wall o' fabric....and he chose the choo choo trains! I whipped up this little creation in time for them to both lay down for their afternoon nap together.
After his nap we went to eat dinner with Granny and Pa, who had just gotten back from a trip. He just had to take Baby Goo with him to show off. I caught them holding hands in the back seat!
And when grandparents come home from a trip, what do they bring? Souvenirs! Cooper got a brand new harmonica along with some other lovely goodies. He's pretty good at it, too!
Oh how I love this boy. He's so trusting of his father and me. He's a straightforward and honest little boy. He has such a sense of wonder about him. Yet, a nurturer and snugglebug he is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment