Sunday, July 11, 2010

Baby Coco

We didn't let anyone know Cooper's name until he entered the world for various reasons.  Right now, I can't help but try to name this child we're waiting and praying for.  I'm having a little bit of a naming issue though. 

Cooper was named after family and because I'd always wanted to name a boy Cooper.  I've always had all of my children's names picked out, first and middle.  I have a whole list stored in my head that no one but Justin will ever know because no, we're not telling anyone before they arrive so why discuss it prior with anyone other than him?

This one's different.  I'm not sure if I can name a child of African descent something that would be considered a very "white" name such as Sarah or Liam or Austin or Jessica.  Yet, I don't really want their teacher to look at the class roster before school starts and assume the child is black (there is nothing wrong with this but I'd rather not anyone have preconceived notions about him/her). 

Is there such thing as a racial neutral name?

Because we didn't publicly name Cooper until he arrived, his name was El Chico...the boy as translated from Spanish.  Some lady heard us refer to him as El Chico while we were shopping once and she said, "Well, I guess Mama likes the Mexican food, huh?" very obnoxiously.  With my pregnant, hormone-induced attitude, I almost let her have it!  I was mad that she assumed I craved Mexican food and named my kid after El Chico, the restaurant.  Didn't everyone know that meant 'the boy'?  And hello!  I never craved anything while pregnant.  Plus, I was so diabetic at the time I couldn't have eaten there anyways.  But whatever.  I'm over it.  :)  Certainly not bitter about it whatsoever!

Back to the baby at hand....what to name it?  I have no idea.  It needs a name though.  I keep dreaming about that sweet, soft, chocolate skin.  Right now, I guess it's a baby cocoa bean in it's mommy's belly....Baby Coco it is.

Any naming suggestions you have will be considered...but don't be surprised if we don't tell the name until he or she is officially ours.

1 comment:

  1. Found some under an Ethopian Names website-
    Adina-slender F
    Aisha-alive F
    Amara-eternal F
    Desta-happiness (either gender)
    Don't know about this one but it was on the website
    Kaleb-heart M

    ReplyDelete