Cooper picked it out all by himself...so fitting. I love this kid! He makes me so proud to be his Mommy. Someday he won't be the sweet, cuddly toddler he is today so I really try to make the most of those precious moments when he grabs my face, looks straight at me and says, "I love you, Mommy! I missed you today, Mommy!" and gives me the sweetest kisses and hugs. Totally melts my heart.
Today was not only Mother's Day, but Senior Sunday at church. As we all watched the slide show and teared up to Mama's Rocking Song, I thought about the pictures we will one day submit for when our kids graduate high school. We have a TON of Cooper, so that's no issue. I wondered what kinds of pictures we will have to show for our next child. No fresh headed newborn shots from a hospital bed. No clever, professional poses. The list could go on. I started to get a little sad...I felt a little cheated. Those are moments I will never be able to have with this next baby. Then all of the opposite thoughts came to my mind. Photo opportunities our family will have that most don't. A referral picture--the very first glimpse of who we will someday hold in our arms. Airport pictures of us finally becoming a family of four for the first time. Maybe...just maybe, we would be able to include a picture of the birthfamily! Yes, our family will look very different on the outside than the rest, but a mother's love for her children-no matter who they are or where they come from-is the same.
Every night at bedtime, we pray with Cooper for his baby brother or sister to come home quickly and safely. He puts his head down, covers his eyes and concentrates. When we're finished, we hear a big, "A-men!" Although he doesn't understand the concept of a sibling, much less international adoption, I feel like he really is excited to have a baby brother or sister in the house. I think he really wants to understand what we're talking about.
Today, much more than any other day, I'm thinking about our baby's birthmom. I doubt anyone will celebrate her, buy her a sentimental card, bring her flowers, or take her to dinner. I'm choosing to celebrate her and her selflessness. I want to celebrate the fact that she's going to have to make a decision to relinquish a child that has grown inside of her, made her sick, brought her sleepless nights, and will look deep into her eyes with love and helplessness. I want to honor her courage. I want to celebrate her. I've said this a few times before, but we have no idea who she is or what circumstances she is or will be facing in the future. Please continue to pray for her health and safety in the coming months as God's plan is revealed to all of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment