Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Lord above, I need a miracle

Last Thursday, my husband and I witnessed God at work.  No kidding...God's still in the miracle business.

We were sitting at dinner and he received a random text message from a random person. 

Text:  I want to commit suicide.

We found out soon enough that this was no random incident.  This was part of a bigger plan.

We immediately wondered who it may be from the food pantry that was reaching out to us, as many of our customers have Justin's number.  I had to leave for a meeting and I told him to keep this person talking and get some information...and that who knows, it may just be a joke.  When I got home, I found out the rest of the story.  The following is their conversation.  I believe it took place over the course of an hour or so.

J:  Who is this?
Her: Wrong number.
J:  I advise that you do not do it.
Her:  If you had the problems I did you would think about the same thing too.  You just don't understand.  My mom is sick and we are HOMELESS.
J:  I'm sorry.  Where do you live?
Her:  Right now nowhere at all but we're in NLR.
J:  Before you make any decisions please call Danny at Levy Church of Christ at 753-4860.
Her:  Do you think maybe he could help us get into a shelter?
J:  Yes, or call Paul at River City Ministry ***-****.  He works at River City which is a homeless ministry.  What's your name?
Her:  "Tanya". Thank you.  God bless you forever.
J:  Who were you trying to text?
Her:  My sister
J:  Just curious how you got this number.
Her:  You guys have similar numbers.
J:  Gotcha.  Please call both of those men tomorrow.  Paul can help you and Danny can help talk with you.
Her:  I did and I thank you so much.  I am forever grateful.
J: Did you get a hold of Paul?
Her:  What's your name?  I'm going to the place tomorrow morning and yes, thank you.  I did get in touch with him.
J:  Justin
Her:  I will never forget you.
J:  Great.  I'll be praying for you.  Stay strong.  Jesus is your friend and He loves you.
Her:  Thank you Justin.  You'll always be in my prayers.  Always.

I came home from my meeting and he read all of this to me and I was overwhelmed at the entire situation.  It's a pretty huge deal to wrap your head around.  What if he had ignored the random text?  What if he had just written it off as a joke?  We went to bed that night thankful for the opportunity to share the information, not knowing whether there would be any follow through on her part.  He knew he had done the right thing by directing her to some great resources.

What happened next is the part that completely blows my mind.  Justin called me Friday and said, "You'll never guess who called me today.  It was Tanya!!  She said she had gotten in touch with River City and she got into a house and it's close to her job!"  Not even 18 hours before this she had been at the brink of despair and now she has a home and hope for her future.  All because of this 'random' situation.  Like I said before, we found out this was no random event.  God is my only explanation.  He's still in the miracle business.

Ever since then, the Third Day song "I Need A Miracle" has been in my head.  Here's an excerpt...

Well no matter who you are
And no matter what you've done
There will come a time
When you can't make it on your own
And in your hour of desperation
Know you're not the only one
Prayin' "Lord above, I need a miracle"
I need a miracle

He lost his job and all he had in the fall of '09
Now he feared the worst, that he would lose his children and his wife
So he drove down deep into the woods and thought he'd end it all
And prayed, "Lord above, I need a miracle"

Chorus

He turned on the radio to hear a song for the last time
He didn't know what he was looking for even what he'd find
And the song he heard it gave him hope and strength to carry on
And on that night, they found a miracle
They found a miracle

And in your hour of desperation
Know you're not the only one
Prayin' "Lord above, I need a miracle"
Lord above, I need a miracle



(Her name was changed and a personal cell phone number was omitted.)

No comments:

Post a Comment