Something amazing happened at the pantry yesterday. We may have been about an hour into working the pantry and I came out from the store rooms to see a man suspiciously walking around the front room amidst the goings on of the pantry. I asked him if he was here to receive food and he hesitated and looked around before he said, "No." Insert extremely awkward, long silence. At this point I'm not sure what's going on. My head is too concerned with trying to figure out why this man is standing in front of me to remember the exact exchange of words we had next. He told lme that instead of coming to do what he meant to do, he would give us a donation instead. What kind of donation?.... He thought...more awkward silence (little did I know, God was working in this awkwardness). I asked him his name, trying to fill some gaps and be polite, and he told me I didn't need to know him, but God knew it. He opened his wallet and gave me $40. I'm shocked. I told him he was precious--he told me that he indeed was not precious, that I did not know him. He also told me that he is nothing without God, which I completely agreed with. As he made his way out the door, those around me who saw this situation all looked at one another in disbelief, trying to figure out what had just happened. Not even three minutes later, the man walked back in. I was confused but smiled and greeted him. He pulled out his wallet and gave me a crisp $100 bill and walked out. All I could say was a simple thank you. Again, I'm shocked. I'm humbled. I'm in awe. It's clicking in my head what just happened. Did you catch it?
My prayer for the pantry this day was specifically that we may be a blessing to all who we come into contact with and that they may see Christ through us. This man came to us intending to take food he did not need and take advantage of us. He looked around and took a minute to see what we were doing and God changed his heart. We witnssed true conviction of this man's heart by nothing we said, but by him seeing Christ through us. God called him to honesty and didn't stop there, but provided a large amount of money as well. What this man didn't know was that we went through close to 30 boxes of cereal in 2 hours and we are completely out of a few items. He has been a blessing to us, and while his money means a lot, knowing the power of God working through this ministry means so much more. Way more than money could ever mean. When hearts are changed and mouths are fed, the work of Christ is being done. I have no idea if we will ever see this man again but I pray for God to continue to work in his life.
Please keep this ministry in your prayers as we serve the community around us.

No comments:
Post a Comment