I'm not one to enjoy being away from my child. Most places we go, we take him with us.
Justin and I haven't had a vacation since our honeymoon 5 years ago. Sure, we've taken a weekend to Dallas or Branson every once in a while but I would hardly consider those outings "vacations" and most of the time we have had Cooper with us.
A few weeks ago, we were able to spend an entire week in Destin, FL with some wonderful friends and it was amazing! The cost was split among all 6 couples who went so it made it very economical...good thing, because I would have felt guilty otherwise since we're trying to save every penny possible for the adoption. I did feel guilty about a few things though...while we were there I kept thinking about how much fun Cooper would have making a sand castle or digging up sea shells. I could just see him making funny faces when the yucky salt water got in his mouth. I'd never been away from him for a week but I think I only cried once for a short moment. Not bad, huh?
What I didn't feel guilty about was having fun with friends, my honey, reading, knitting, cooking, shopping...just relaxing for the first time in a few years. I didn't realize how much a career change, new baby/toddler and grad school had brought me down the past 3 years. Wow. Three years.
I know we won't ever have a vacation like that again. It's okay with me. This will hold me over for a long time. It's exactly what we needed. With the change about to occur with our family I know vacation may not even be possible for another five years...who knows.
The sandcastle we made in Cooper's honor...it kinda turned out to be an entire village!
My honey and me on the beach
Cooper...see the smiley face?
My Lindsey D and me
No comments:
Post a Comment